Electrically Dead MG

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Electrically Dead MG
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 14:28:39 +0000
I took the 68 'B for a nice cruise (well, OK - dash/thrash) through the
hills and back home via the freeway.  I thought she could do with the
run and I needed to take a run with the top down before winter really
sets in in this part of the world (Adelaide, South Australia).

She went incredibly well along the winding road through the hills and
cruised home at a pleasant 70mph all the way (about 30 miles down the
freeway) - this is the first time I have taken her for a decent spin in
the month or two that I have owned her.  All up about an 80 mile round
trip.

The next morning I take her out of the garage, idling fine if not a
little lumpy down low (idling too slow for my liking), I put the foot
down to take off and... sudden death!  Cranking over but refused to
fire.  As I had to get to work I pushed her back into the garage and
headed off in the Ford.

As this is the first time I have had to even look at the problem since
then (last Monday) I pulled off the lead on No. 4 and get no spark
whatsoever.

I have been looking for a lead hanging off somewhere.  Where do I start
the investigation?

I then notice two "spare" leads near the coil and one "spare" lug on one
side of the coil (one green and one white lead on one side of the coil
and just one white lead on the other) - should there be two leads each
side of the coil???.  The two "spare" leads hanging in mid-air lead back
into a loom, one wire is green and one is white!

Eric
68 MGB