Re: ATTN: UK Listers

To: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Subject: Re: ATTN: UK Listers
From: Philip Morgan <padre@billman.kuntrynet.com>
Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 08:34:25 -0700
Mike Lishego wrote:

> Sorry to spam the list, but I have a hankering for a UK license plate for
> the front of my MGB (PA doesn't require front plates).  Can any UK listers
> afford to part with on old one, or does the plate stay with the car for
> life?  Thanks for any leads...
>
> Michael S. Lishego
> http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/

Mike, I'm from the UK, been here in Indiana since 1984! I have front
plates from the UK on my cars as follows 1975MGB - 1976MGB - 74MGBGT.
Each time I have called my family and they just go to the local Halfords,
kind of like PEPBOYS and they will make you one on the spot. Cars made
after about 1968, I think, had white front plates. Earlier cars would
have had the black background with silver/chrome letters. The plates I
got cost about $20 if I remember correctly. So you decide what
numbers/letters you want and then arrange for someone with connections to
go and get it for you....having said that my sister and brother-in-law
fly into the US to visit with us NEXT Thursday, the 14th May. It may be
too late at this stage but if you are quick I could give them a call and
see whether they'd be able to go a get a plate cut. They live away from
any urban area so I'm not sure they will have the time but it's worth a
try. We can work out how to get it into your hands and cost etc later,
but I'm sure it'll be around the $20 mark.

Regards Philip
Sponsor of "Tea at the Vicarage"