MGB Trailer! (longish!)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGB Trailer! (longish!)
From: Jim Boyd <ISC@dcsi.net>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 08:23:46 -0500
Hey Listers:

You may recall that I suggested a use for trashed out MGBs, that being a
trailer!  I received a TON of enthusiastic responses and have proceeded
with the deed!

There is definitely a learning curve in making the trailer a reality.  No
matter what people may say about the MGB unibody and rust in the sills,
these cars are VERY strong!  I tried to use a sawzall to cut the car in
half (went thru $20 worth of bent blades in short order), finally got the
car to the shop and used the plasma cutter to finish things off.  A lot of
work!

At this point, the tongue and the two side supports are mig welded in
place.  I had a neat front panel built to specs runs across from B post to
B post.  The ww spare tire will mount there, too.  New trunk floor
(galvanized 18 gauge) ready to install. (old one was non existent, due to
rust)

Have bead blasted the three wws; new dog-eared knock-offs on order from
Moss, in addition to a new rear bumper, over riders and side trim strips.
A tonneau cover will be shortened to fit in the original location.  New
floor panel completely closes off the battery box area (formerly rear
cockpit).  This space, as well as the trunk will be fully carpeted. =20

Plans call for the trailer to be painted to match my '67 GT, which is
Tartan Red.  I'm planning on having the trailer finished for the Chico, CA
All British Meet, June 28th.  Also will be a vendor at the Moss Motors
Festival in Solvang, July 17th.  I hope to be taking orders!  Hope to have
photos on my website later this month.  The trailer (even now, in unpainted
form) looks *really* cute!

I plan to sell these on an "as available" basis, in unpainted (2 part
expoxy primer).  Price not established yet, but unfortunately, it is more
expensive to build than I had originally anticipated, typical, right?

Many thanks to listers who voiced an encouraging e-mail!

Cheers,
Jim Boyd
International Sportscar Components
Paradise, CA=A0 USA=A0=A0=A0 http://www.BritishPartsandCars.com=20