Re: Jaguar (very minor MG content)

To: MG_mailing_list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Jaguar (very minor MG content)
From: "Quirt, Dave" <quirt@SRC.SK.CA>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 13:01:00 -0600
I can't help feeling that there has been a lot of bad news being spread
about recently concerning the Jag  XJ series cars and the V12 engine in
particular. Personally, I will agree that the late '70s - mid '80s Lucas EFI
system is marginal in quality and expensive to replace. But there is a very
good list for XJ6/12 and ones for XJS, as well as other models, at
<www.jag-lovers.org>. Much valuable information to keep your kitty alive and
well can be found in the archives of these lists. I've been an information
user and contributor to these for a long time now and find them quite
worthwhile (and necessary!!!).

As far as an XJS goes, I actually prefer the pre-EFI models because of their
relative simplicity and their durability. The HE models are more powerful
and give better fuel mileage but of course have the problematical EFI. The
Stromberg carbs (x4) are not overly complex to keep in tune and can
certainly be replaced by a set of Webers ($$, but nice) for performance,
looks and relative simplicity of maintenance (once set up properly). The V12
engine has had a lot of bad press but the problems are NOT usually due to
the engine itself, but are due to the engine peripherals, especially the EFI
system (erratic running, failure, fireballs ...). With normal care, the
engine will last at least as long as '60s XK engines do, if not longer, and
it is so smooth that it's performance can easily be downplayed.

Maintenance on a EFI V12 is just difficult due to lousy access (thus $$
labour) but a valve job itself does NOT cost that much - each head costing a
similar amount as one from a MGC. Even a full engine rebuild is not
excessively costly, aside from the R&R costs if done at a shop. On the other
hand, if a PO has badly overheated the engine - a not uncommon experience
given the header tank location -  a full rebuild may be essential. While the
engine is out (:-) - I also think that any XJS is just crying out for a
manual transmission. I have driven a 5-speed conversion and, yes, it is
miles better than the early BW slushbox and it is much more fun than the
later T400 box.

In summary, I personally feel that having an XJ12 or XJS can be a rewarding
experience. Yes, parts can be expensive and, for sure, maintenance done by a
Jag shop will be expensive, but nearly everything can be taken care of by
the owner, much like '50s to '70 MGs.

Dave Q.
59 MGA Twin-Cam (and you think an XJS is expensive to fix)
57 MGA Coupe
65 MGB roadster (with OD!!!)
58 Jag XK150S roadster (with OD)
62 Jag Mk2 3.8 (with OD)