Re: Heaters and other things

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Heaters and other things
From: Harlan Jillson <hjillson@halnet.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 07:42:17 -0500
Carl Mole wrote:

> A new problem has manifested itself on the GT:
> steam rises from the heater ducts after running for a while!
> The first time it happened had me reaching for the fire ex'
> thinking it was smoke...
> Any ideas?
> It's not a little steam , it's like a kettle boiling.
> The temp gauge reads ok not overheating etc.
>
> I've had the engine breather pipes cleaned out and now my
> oil pressure seems a little erratic.
> It sits at about 50 on tickover and will sometimes drop to
> 25 - blip the throttle and its back up to 50.
> It seems to happen at tickover and not at high speed.
>
> ----------------------
> Carl Mole
> C.Mole@tees.ac.uk

Carl,
   I don't know what anyone else thinks, but that steam sounds a lot
like a heater core to me.  You'll probably find that the coolant level
in the radiator is slowly (or not so slowly) going down when you use
the heater.  You can re-route the hoses feeding the core to by-pass it
as a temporary fix if that's the problem.
  Sorry no ideas on the erratic oil pressure.

Harlan.

Former owner '72 MGB-GT
Starting the search for another one.