(NO LBC) Metrics was Re: Fuel Question

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, "Keith Wheeler" <keithw@sand.net>
Subject: (NO LBC) Metrics was Re: Fuel Question
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 18:57:53 -0500
Keith:
Haha! Yes, we are the only ones that "stand up" to a lot of people, which
earns us a big "arrogance" badge to all you mentioned, and every other
European country (which I try to change when given the chance). Metric
measurements is a lot easier, but who cares, right?
The French helped us out on a few occasions way back, mainly to piss off the
"home country". I'm sure they regret it now...hehe.
Then the "home country" made a weak attempt at helping the South during the
Unpleasantness Between the States, to piss off the official Fed Government
at that time. They didn't like us much until we bailed (yes, its true) them
out of a couple of rather tough spots in the first half of this century.
So we pretty much stick to our own measurements and briefly and
ineffectively teach metric to our chillun, for international compatibility
sake. Sorta in the same mode that Arizona (my home state of choice) refuses
to recognize daylight savings and some other conventions of the "other
states". Just because WE CAN. ;)
Silly isn't it?
Dan