Beautiful day...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Beautiful day...
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 11:04:09 EDT
Yesterday was a beautiful day in Southwest Iowa!  Eighty degrees, dry,
clear, and not a cloud in the sky.

Graduated in the morning (woo-hoo!), and then spent the afternoon putting
rear shackle bushings in Miss Molly.  Cake walk, once I figured out that
all I need to do was support the frame, lift the axle, and stick a block
of wood in between the spring and trunk floor pan before pulling the
shackle.  First side was 45 minutes, second side:  10.

Cleaned up, sent my daughter over to her cousin's house for the evening,
and took Miss Molly and the SO for a drive.  Spent the next couple of
hours and hundred miles just driving around on the back roads to the
little towns around here.  Wonderful!  Molly behaved (for a change) until
we hit a bumpy section of road.  Then she began to intermittently cut
out, and lose power.

For some reason (perhaps having received a degree), my powers of
observation and deduction were working well and I realized that when the
stuttering only occurred when we hit a bump, and when she was stuttering,
the tach went dead.

Told the SO (who was sitting there contemplating a rather long and dark
walk back to town) that Molly required the LBC equivalent of laying on of
hands, pulled over, popped the bonnet, intoned the magic word, "MOWOG,"
and twisted the coil over so it would quit shorting out against the fresh
air intake tube (aluminum -- I replaced the plastic one).  Closed the
bonnet to find the SO looking at me as though I had spent a little too
much time in the sun.  Drove off into the sunset (literally) without a
hitch.  Tightened the coil bracket when I got home.

Sometimes, it's fun to confuse the mechanically challenged....

Rich