RE:absorption cannister (ROBERT G. HOWARD)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE:absorption cannister (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
From: John Bartholomew <jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 10:46:18 -0700

ROBERT G. HOWARD <<mgbob@juno.com> wrote:

> Fuel was flowing from the adsorbtion cannister. Fuel

> pump was not pumping.

> Pulled off the line from the tank to the cannister--seemed to be dry.

> Removed the gas filler cap and a load of fuel sprayed onto my pants...

> Isn't the little grey tank inside the right fender supposed to allow

> for expansion of gasoline on a hot day?

I missed the original post but I think this explanation may help....

The vapor line from the trunk to the carbon canister is blocked!

In three on my MGB's I have seen this problem. The line gets accumulations of
the old stale gas and eventually blocks vapors completely. This is much more
likely to happen to a car that has sat idle in storage for a long time.

I would suggest you remove the hose from the canister in the passenger rear
fender, the one that goes down through the trunk floor and up to the carbon
canister under the hood. Remove the end at the carbon canister also, it's the
one with the small inverted "U" shaped hose attached, if I remember correctly.
Then from the trunk end, attempt to blow air through to verify that it is
indeed clear. I have found on three occasions this line is totally blocked. It
took several pounds of air pressure from my air compressor to finally clear the
blockage. I think about 45-50 lbs, if I recall correctly.  Be prepared for a
bunch of foul smelling stale gas and goo to come out under the hood and
remember, be extremely careful, this goo and stale gas is HIGHLY FLAMMABLE.  I
suggest you wrap a rag around the end of the open pipe when you attempt to
clear the blockage. This will localize the mess and you won't end up spraying
it all over the engine compartment.  Been there, done that!

When you are sure this line is clear, check the one that goes into the gas tank
just to the right of the filler pipe, where it goes through the trunk floor.

Try blowing air through this line. Loosen the gas cap before doing this so you
don't pressurize the tank. You should be able to hear air bubbles in the gas
tank if the line is clear.  When these lines are clear the vapor collector
system should work correctly.  Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I
believe the little canister in the rear fender is a condenser, which helps the
fumes turn to liquid to drain back into the tank.

The carbon canister should be the only vent to the outside air, through the
anti run on valve.

</color>John Bartholomew Amdahl San Jose CA.

 ** 408-746-6361 07:00-16:00 PST.  **

   **  USUAL DISCLAIMERS APPLY  **

Various MGB & GT's (6) '69 to 79; 86 XJ-S