Re: Vegas, Corvairs; long with scant LBC content

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net (IPM Return Requested)
Subject: Re: Vegas, Corvairs; long with scant LBC content
From: William Elliott <William.Elliott@mail.mei.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 9:07:21 -0500
<<<I don't mean to start a war, but I've just been reading some automotive
history, and wondered if anyone else could clarify.

I'm certain the Tucker had a rear-engine.  It was actually a helicopter
motor (Bell?  Huey?) which makes me believe it was also air-cooled.  (I
know that heat and noise made them switch to a more standard automobile
motor later.)>>>

Yes, the Tucker had a rear-mounted, air-cooled engine.
(Tucker's actual plan for for a very-advanced air-cooled
model using a hydraulically-controlled valvetrain and
other innovations.  He built a couple of prototypes, but
since the venture failed, it never got much past the
planning stage. Thus his use of the helicopter powerplant.)

We Corvair guys consider this to be the "spiritual"
predecessor... but at about 50 units, it can't really
 be considered a true "production" car. I won't argue
semantics, though.  We also consider the Franklin,
a wonderful front-engine air cooled piece as part
of the heritage as well. Really respect and admire
both cars. A few of us own Tatra's as well (Russian
air-cooled, rear engine V-8.)

<<<As to first floor shifter, do I mean to understand all those '30's Ford
roadsters had column shifters to start with?  Again I don't have enough
knowledge to debate, but I was under the impression that a floor shifter
was common, and the move to a column shift was a comfort item.  If you
consider the differences in the linkage setups, it would seem that a
floor shift would be the natural beginning.>>>

That's why I said first "modern" floor shift.  Shifters
started out on the floor, but was a real "remote control"
setup not readily useful for any performance work.  It
was a 20's/30's hot rodder's trick to make it into
a column shift for "quicker" and more convenient shifts.

So, the entire industry moved to column shifts.  In the
50's, only the Corvette and imports (MG, Jag, etc) were
readily available with a floor shift and bucket seats.
Sales of the Corvair languished in 1960 until the
Monza package was introduced midyear, including buckets
and a floor shift. This tapped a previously-undiscovered
market.  Within a year or so, most models offered buckets
as an option.

Many trends in automobiles repeat themselves.  Remember
the Cord was FWD... and the most popular cars at the turn
of the century were electric!

Bill Elliott
Lake Mills, WI