Thoughts on used oil coolers

To: BobMGT@aol.com, "Jethogger" <Jethogger@aol.com>
Subject: Thoughts on used oil coolers
From: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@mailexcite.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 07:47:41 -0700
WRT used oil coolers:

I was advised (by Ted Schumacher of TSI automotive)
to skip the used coolers and shell out the extra
clams for a new one.  Apparently the nasties in the
oil that manage to get by the filter love to deposit themselves deep in the
bowels of the oil cooler and
are all but impossible to extract by flushing.
Or worse- the engine whose oil it used to cool has
suffered some sort of metal failure...

Either way, I didnt want to risk my investment
in the rebuild, so I bought a cooler kit.  Being
the curious type, I cut the old(leaking)one in two
and blew out all manner of interesting crud, sludge
and gritty stuff... just like Ted predicted.

YMMV, Pay your money;take your chances, etc.

--Scott

---
Scott Hower -> howersl@mailexcite.com

73 MGB