Re: Replacement carpet kits

Subject: Re: Replacement carpet kits
From: Joseph Cianciotti <jmc987@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 26 May 98 18:21:24 -0700

<SNIP>

On Mon, 25 May 1998 09:42:46 -0700, don <brgmgb@napanet.net> wrote:

>I've been trying to figure out where to get a carpet set for my B GT and I am
reluctant to buy
>any of them.
<SNIP>
> Why does Moss (and others) sell such junk?  Does anyone that works for them
ever try to use
>their parts?  Do they listen to their customers?

So I wrote:

The carpet kit I got from Moss for my B fit fine with the exception of
the piece for the passenger footwell.  It was about an inch shy in width.
 As a result, I had to cheat the piece to fit. Which left an unsightly
gap all the way around.

I called Moss tech service and in a few days, had a free replacement.
Unfortunately it was identical to the ill-fitting piece. I called again,
and in our conversation commented that their supplier was probably
cutting that piece to fit both early and later B's to save money.  That
was met with a "That wouldn't surprise me". So I said, but then it
wouldn't fit and that would be wrong. The final response was a "don't get
me started."

So, my guess is that the people at Moss are well aware of the their parts
problems.  But in my experience, they're rather helpful in trying to
rectify them.  What I think needs to happen is that more people have to
bring problems to Moss's attention rather than just griping about it on
the list.  If it's not right, give them a call.  If it doesn't fit, send
it back.  When they start seeing more boxes coming in than going out,
they'll get the hint.

Joseph
67 Roadster

Epilogue: I took the starter cover piece from the kit that I didn't use,
cut it to fit the footwell, paid a tailor to resew the edge binding and
glued it to the original backer board.  I installed it this weekend and
it fits like a glove. So the money I saved by buying the kit on sale came
in handy. I just wish I could have spent in on something else.