Re: High/Low Beam Headlight Switch

To: "Gary A. Graham" <ggraham@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu>
Subject: Re: High/Low Beam Headlight Switch
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 01:04:12 -0400
Gary A. Graham wrote:
> I have no high beam headlights in my 74B. The wiring is ok at the front
> end of the car and I've traced the problem back to the turn signal/high
> beam flash/high-low beam column mounted switch. I now have two options:
> become a DCO* and fit an off/on switch for the high beams somewhere or
> replace the column-mounted switch.

  It might just need a simple "bend" in the metal, mine had the
same problem and it was a quick fix.

  Take the steering column cover off and inspect the switch. Looking
down from the top, you'll see how it works. Moving it in and out
makes or breaks contact with little "tabs" that stick out and
touch the part that you move when you switch it.

  On mine, the metal tab just wasn't making very good contact. Use
an electrical tester to see if the voltage is on one side but not
the other. In my case, when I stuck the pointy tester in I was
also able to "bridge" the gap with it and the high beams came
on.

  If that's the case, just clean the contacts and perhaps CAREFULLY
bend the tab to make stronger contact. Be a little careful, the
wires in there are always live.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/