'79 Midget Clutch

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: '79 Midget Clutch
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 08:54:10 EDT
All:

I've narrowed the clutch problem down to the slave cylinder as the push
rod, pin, throwout bearing, pressure plate, and disc were all new as of
last August -- I've only put about 2000 miles on them; if any of these
have gone out I'm hopping the next flight to the UK to visit the factory,
and I'm not stopping in for tea....

Seriously, at the time that I did the work last year, I rebuilt the both
the slave cylinder and the clutch master cylinder.  I put a new MC on two
months and 500 miles ago.  Since the bore on the slave was right on the
edge of acceptable, I didn't replace it when I rebuilt it (nor did I hone
it -- yes, I am a big dummy).  My guess is the stronger pressure from the
new MC and the shaky condition of the slave caused the seals on the slave
to give way.

The biggest hint, though, was walking out yesterday afternoon and seeing
a *big* spot of DOT 5 directly under the slave cylinder.  As my nieces
have been known to say, "Well, DUH!"

Thus, I am replacing the slave, and am wondering if I should consider
replacing the clutch line; mine is the hard plastic version with the
threaded ends held into the hose via barbs.  Suggestions?

Thanks!

Rich