MGA Engine Removal

To: "'MG submission'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MGA Engine Removal
From: "Cordell, Ralph PhD" <rzc4@cdc.gov>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 09:39:47 -0400
While it has been 20+ years, my dad & I yanked the engine (with the
trans) on my 1500 A several times.  In fact, I was not sure it could be
pulled without the trans and was thinking of asking y'all about that.
Once on Thanksgiving day, we replaced a seal - had it pulled, apart,
repaired, back in place and running in a day (as well as eating
Thanksgiving dinner).  I don't believe we got too far into tearing the
engine down.  We did not pull any floorboards.  After stripping the
engine down to block and head and removing the gear lever extension (as
previously mentioned) from the trans, it seems to me the major movement
was straight up with the block and down with the tail of the trans until
we got the front clear of (higher than) the hood brace - then we lifted
the tail of the trans and rolled the car back & clear.  We used a cable
hoist hooked onto a reinforced rafter in our garage so it couldn't have
been too sophisticated in terms of manipulations.  I believe we hooked
onto the top front of the block as I remember there was a fair amount of
weight on the rear end (I got to hold that part).  I hope I remembered
it correctly as it looks like I'm going to be doing it soon.  Hope this
is helpful.

ralph cordell
'59 MGA
'84 Turbo regal