Distributor (vacuum advance) trouble! long but important!

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Distributor (vacuum advance) trouble! long but important!
From: "RossOvercash" <jroverca@tiac.net>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 10:33:38 -0400
Ok folks here goes,

As you might (or might not) recall I have been having some trouble getting
my B to start!  This all began back in February when I was installing a new
distributor cap, rotor button, plugs and wires!  Car was running, shut down,
installed said parts, no start!  Checked the order of wires no start, but a
bit of back fire.  Now there is no fire at all!  I have confirmed there is
spark to each plug, static timming seems to be just fine (timming was fine
before this started too).

Move to today:

I decided to clean up the carbs a bit, did that, fuel pump works just fine
too.  Oh by the way I had an ignitor installed when all went bad.  I decided
to reinstall the points, did so and still no luck.  So back to today.  I
decided to reinstall the ignitor and see if Murphy's law would work in
reverse!  Well while removing the points I noticed that the Moving plate in
the dizzy moves but doesn't spring back!  Upon closer inspection I notice a
spring that leads from the vacuum advance and should be attached to said
plate is broken right at the little stud it should attach too!

So now for the question(s):

        1.  would this broken spring cause the inablity to start the car (this
is
what I think)

        2.  how dificult will it be to replace the vacuum advance unit?

        3.  the dizzy is a 25D, how do I know which vacuum advance unit I need,
see more than one part number in the catalogs (I'm guessing the high
compression)

Thanks in advanvce

Safety Fast!!

Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer, MA
http://www.tiac.net/users/jroverca/index.htm