Re: MGA Tranny, front seal Qs

To: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGA Tranny, front seal Qs
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 02:30:54
At 11:43 AM 5/29/98 -0500, Bill Eastman wrote:
> I am taking apart the tranny- 1600 Ml1 with bolt on u-joint yoke-  and I
am having a little problem on the step "gently lift the tail shaft housing
off over the 3rd motion shaft."  It seems that the ball bearing has gotten
real cozy with the tail shaft and won't let go.  Any suggestions?  I tried
a gentle wrap with a 2 by 4 on the tail shaft but no luck.

Remove the rear flange first.  If the rear housing has not moved away from
the gasketed joint, whack it a little harder, but do not break the monkey
ear holding the bottom rubber mount.

If the rear housing has moved away from the gasketed joint, even a little
bit, then it's a different problem, not stuck on the bearing.  You need to
remove the shift extension housing, and the sheet metal top cover, and the
interlock arm assembly that resides just inside the top cover.  Then you
need to rotate the internal remote control shaft one way or the other, so
that the front selector lever will disengage from the slots in the
selectors which are attached to the forward shift rods.  Then the rear
housing should come off with just a little encouragement.

>.... The felt front seal has perished.  The Moss conversion gasket set
states that it includes the front seal for the early (felt) sealed engines.
 However, my kit only includes a standard rubber lip seal.

The rubber lip seal was used on late MGA MK-II and all MGB models.  All
1500 and 1600 and some early MK-II engines had the felt front seal.

>I noticed that the old felt seal sits in a metal housing that may be
removable.  Am I supposed to bash this whole metal/felt assembly out and
replace it with the lip seal

NO, MO, NO !!!  The metal housing around the felt seal is permanently
attached to the front cover.

>or should I order a new felt seal?

Yup.  The felt seal just pulls out of the slot, and the new one installs
the same way.  Alternatively, you could procure a timing cover from a late
MGA MK-II, or from an Early MGB, and then you could use the rubber lip seal.

>The rear seal on the tranny looks the same with felt inside a metal
carrier and Moss supplied a standard lip seal so maybe this is standard
practice.

If the rear rubber lip seal fits in the rear housing, and also fis on the
neck of the rear flange, then by all means use it.  The original seal may
have been leather with a felt dust seal on the outside, but the rubber one
should do a better job of sealing, and probably last longer to boot.  But I
have to think that the real reason they're supplying the rubber seals now
is because they're cheaper.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude