leaking dipstick on 1500 Midget

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: leaking dipstick on 1500 Midget
From: gorms68@juno.com (C A G)
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 08:58:56 -0700
Dear Experts,

My wife and I are the happy owners of a 1975 Midget with an unusal
problem. It continues to push up the dipstick just enough to allow oil to
leak out. Aside from the mess it leave on the driveway it is quite
embarassing to have this stream of white smoke following you on the
roads. Not wanting to promote the negative image of leaking MG's I would
love to find the cause of the problem. It has a rebuilt 1500 with a Weber
DGV and runs like a top.
Thus far we have replaced the felt gasket that forms the seal at the top
of the dipstick (just below the loop), checked the crankcase ventilation
hoses for blockage, and put a sight bend in the dipstick itself so it
will seat better in the tube. All of these modifications have helped, but
not solved the problem.
What could be causing the pressure in the dipstick tube? Yesterday I
tried one more fix, a spring attached to the motor mount to hold the darn
thing in!
Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris Gorman
1975 Midget (top down most of the year!)
1970 MGB (waiting to be restored)
1968 Mustang (first car)
1994 Explorer