The little Midget that really wants to....

Subject: The little Midget that really wants to....
From: Tyson Sherman <tsherman@tecinfo.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 20:47:34 -0500
Back to working on the ill 72 Midget....

In order to work around the problem with the tranny stuck in reverse
(although the shift lever reads neutral), I raised the back tires off
the ground to spin the car on the starter.  All went well with the
engine, tranny, driveshaft, axle and wheels spinning on the starter with
no resistance.  Oil pressure came up (with fresh oil) - this car was
last legally driven in 1993.

I managed to get a spark after replacing the coil.  The
points/condenser/rotor/cap are still old (can't source locally).  One
problem is that the carbs (HS2s) are leaking gas from the air chambers
(air cleaners not installed) and from the float chambers.  That would
probably prevent starting.

Then I started messing with the shift lever and jammed it in gears and
now the starter will no longer spin the assembly.  My theory is that the
tranny is always in reverse, and by putting it in a forward gear, it's
trying to go both ways and the starter won't spin it.  The starter
indeed won't spin the motor anymore.  It just jerks.

I'm meeting with a man locally tomorrow with several junked Spridgets to
get a tranny perhaps.  What should I do about the SUs until then.  I'm a
dummy when it comes to carbs/ ignition sortof.  My 76 B has electronic
ignition / single stromberg.

Help w/the Sus (and tranny too) is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!

--
Tyson Sherman
http://www.tecinfo.com/~tsherman