Re: fluctuating oil pressure

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: fluctuating oil pressure
From: baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 09:25:48 -0400
At 08:08 AM 6/4/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Yesterday I notices that the oil pressure gauge would fluctuate quickly at
>times, I generally noticed it at idle. Anything to worry about? Is it a
>symptom of something else?

It's definately something to look into right away.  If your pressure is low
or the oil's not circulating well, you're asking for major engine damage.
Could be the pump, a leak in the system (ha! now that would be a
rarity...), the filter could be blocked up, any number of things.
A car I had years ago got some water into the oil, and I noticed it on the
guage at first because (according to my mechanic) the water is compressable
and the oil is not.  Simply checking the dipstick, you could see evidence
of water. (Muddy bubbles and sludge.)  Lucky for me, there was only a small
amount so I was able to flush it out for the cost of four quarts of oil and
a filter. Otherwise it would have required total dissasembly and cleaning
all the oiled parts.

BTW, NEVER try to save money on oil or filters. Get the best you can find.

Dave

'62 MGA 1600 II