Re: Major coolant loss!

To: dereck.carey@cdsi.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Major coolant loss!
From: JMerz140@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 14:18:04 EDT
In a message dated 98-06-05 10:33:55 EDT, dereck.carey@cdsi.com writes:

<<  I never noticed any excessive smoke from the rear of
      the car, however this is a small displacement engine (not much exhaust
      when normal).  I did notice a teaspoon of water in the exhaust pipe.
      All this and there is no water in the oil.  I plan on doing a pressure
      test next.

      Is the head gasket shot?
      Is the cylinder head cracked (vacuum, clean oil)?
      Other ideas? >>
      Derek
       My guess is that, as a minimum, the head gasket is blown.  The coolant
is escaping from the radiator via the combusion chamber and out the exhaust
pipe.  If you were to follow the  car in another and observe the tailpipe, I
suspect you would comfirm that as being the place where the coolant is lost.
If the head gasket is blown, then its reasonable that the head is warped and
will need to be shaved enough to make it flat once again.  Another strong
possiblilty is that the head is cracked which might be repairable or need to
be replaced.  In any event, it looks like part of your weekend will be spent
removing the head to see what gives.   Jim