Re: MGA Directional Signal Switch

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, bamadio@statestreet.com
Subject: Re: MGA Directional Signal Switch
From: code5 <code5@ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 22:39:24 -0400
Bruce--
Inside the cylindrical body of the switch is a pneumatic, spring-loaded
piston. Air trapped above the piston resists the spring pressure, so the
piston moves slowly and serves as a timer for the directionals. The turn
signal continues until the piston reaches the end of its travel.
There's a leather or fiber seal (I don't recall) around the piston. When
it dries, it shrinks and doesn't trap air. I used a light machine oil,
though I don't know whether that or another oil is actually recommended.
It was an easy fix. The switch is easy to dis/reassemble if you pay
attention when you take it apart.
Good luck.
John Vallely
'59 mga