HELP! SOMEONE TRIED TO STEAL MY CAR!

Subject: HELP! SOMEONE TRIED TO STEAL MY CAR!
From: Joseph Cianciotti <jmc987@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 98 17:58:42 -0700
This morning I went out to wash my car and the door lock practically fell
out in my hand.  Some S.O.B. took a screwdriver to my lockset and tried
to pry it out of the door. And in the process, wrecked up both the lock
and the door.  Thankfully, they weren't MG savvy or it would have been
gone. Even with the club on the steering wheel, I think it's a pretty
easy car to steal if you know what you're doing. The police officer told
me that a Honda was stolen from my lot that night, so I was pretty lucky.

Now I have a zillion questions, so I know what to look for and ask about
when I see an adjuster.

The area around the lock is distorted and there is a hole above the lock
caused by the screwdriver. Is this something that is easily straightened
out and/or patched? Or am I in for a re-skinning? If it needs to be
reskinned, how good are the Moss panels?

The keyhole itself was chewed up too. Currently my doors and ignition
locks match and I'd like to keep it that way. Is it possible to get a
matching lock for the door? Or buy a blank one and make it match the
others.  (As far as I can tell, Moss doesn't sell locksets where the
doors and ignition match. And even if they did, I'd rather not screw up
the other door and possibly the ignition if I can avoid it.) Any
suggestions?

Here's a stupid one: Can I expect a shop that works on late-model
Japanese and European cars to know their way around the a 31-year-old
MGB? Or should I find a shop that restores old cars? I'm concerned with
color and finish matching (My car isn't clear-coated and its finish is
orange-peel free although it is slighty faded from the original Mineral
Blue.) I also want to make sure that the contour around the lock area is
correct and that they don't screw up the alignment of the door.

My insurance company will cut me a check and let me get it repaired
wherever I want. But my wife warns me that if there are any negotitions
with the insurance company, a body shop will have more success than I
will.

Now about insurance: My car is covered by a standard policy, which
probably uses the blue book to determine the car's value in the event of
a loss. (Which probably would't even pay for a new interior, much less an
entire car.) I might be able to get an agreed value policy. (My carrier
is USAA. I don't know if they offer them, but maybe someone on the list
will know.)  Don't those policies tend to have a lot of restrictions on
them?  My car is parked outside every day -- and night.

Finally: Is there anything I can do to make my car less theft-proof?

Any other suggestions, advice or condolences will be appreciated.  Thanks
in advance.

Joseph
67 B Roadster.