Re: Low oil pressure / thermostat

To: JustBrits@aol.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Low oil pressure / thermostat
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 00:28:15 EDT
On Sat, 6 Jun 1998 18:14:19 EDT JustBrits@aol.com writes:

Ed:

>Sounds like oil pressure relief valve spring is weak.  What weight
>oil?  Were rings installed properly on pistons?

Replaced the spring when I did the pump.  Oil is 20W50 Castrol GTX.
Rings were installed correctly.

Am beginning to believe that I have a bad oil sending unit.  There's
evidence of leakage on the sending unit, and the light comes on earlier
and earlier in operation.  I''ve got a T-fitting for both an oil pressure
guage and the sending unit, earlier today it was coming on with the
pressure reading 25-30 lbs, tonight it was on at 40-45 lbs.  The guage is
accurate.

The fitting is threaded the same as that on a Chevy small block or six
cylinder, and as I recall, these were set to come on at 25 lbs pressure.
Can anyone think of any reason why I can't use one of these units to test
it with?

Rich