Re: Tales of the Turnpike, Part 2

To: william.eastman@medtronic.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tales of the Turnpike, Part 2
From: AKBLACKLEY@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 12:39:00 EDT
Bill: I 'm with you on maintaining and fixing before the trip, not during.
Lessons learned the hard way, as my story demonstrated. I dont think LBC are
that fragile that one in top condition will "mysteriously" break. Almost any
problem can be foreseen and dealt with. Inertia on my part, when I know theres
a something that needs fixing, is still my problem. That said, I've not yet
had a problem with an LBC that required a tow truck and a rescue. Another WV
Turnpike story: On another trip back to Ohio in the Volvo P1800 a truck in
front of us dropped a 4x4 piece of wood on the road right in front of us. I
tried to manuever out of the way, but one edge of it caught a front wheel,
spun under the car and punched a neat 4 inch hole in the gas tank. We felt the
hit, and in my rear view mirror I saw a lenghtening wet streak, and all the
cars behind us slowing way down. By now I could smell it. we pulled over and
bailed until al the gas ran out. We were lucky, but did have to call a tow and
spend a day in Beckley, WVA. Cheers, Andy Blackley