Re: CA emmisions solution

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: CA emmisions solution
From: Ezra Beeman <ezra@save-america.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 09:11:23 -0700
Okay, thanks for the DVM notice, I went and looked it up and will post it so
everyone is clear:

Smog

 Beginning January 1, 1998, new smog certification laws give new vehicle owners
and
 those with vintage vehicles a break on their registration requirements.

 The repeal of Vehicle Code Section 4000.7 and addition of Section 44091.1 to
the
 Health and Safety Code exempts all vehicles that are four model years old or
less from
 biennial smog check requirements for registration renewals. Those owners now
pay an
 annual $4 for each of the first four registration years. As a result, however,
of year 2000
 efforts, the Bureau of Automotive Repair will allow DMV to skip billing most
of these
 motorists the $4 payment this year and bill them $8 for both years during 1999.

 The new laws also eliminate the optional $39 fee new vehicle buyers could pay
 exempt their vehicles for the first biennial smog inspection.

 An amendment to Section 4000.1 exempts 1973 models and older vehicles from any
 smog requirements. Previously, 1965 and older vehicles were exempt. In the
year 2003,
 the law will change to eliminate smog requirements for any vehicle 30 model
years and
 older.