Wire Wheel Repairs (Longish), was: Re: Wire wheel maintenance questions

To: <RJohn50603@aol.com>, <baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com>,
Subject: Wire Wheel Repairs (Longish), was: Re: Wire wheel maintenance questions
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 13:27:04 -0400
    If it's of any interest to anybody, I chatted with the people from
Dayton Wheel Products about my wheels.  The wheels are standard MGB wire
wheels, 14".  It seems that for four wheels to be trued and repainted, I'd
be looking at $350.  They would kindly check the splines to be sure that
they were in safe tolerances, but if the splines needed replaced I was
looking at an extra $55 per wheel.  Knowing that some of my wheels might not
be safe (or safe enough for me), I thought about the whole proposition.  For
shipping + insurance + labor I came up with a figure of around $500 or so -
which doesn't include any extra work that might need done.
    Checking Moss, I found their wire wheel prices to be about $100 more.  I
chatted with George Merryweather of Classic Restorations, and found myself
with four brand-new wire wheels for under $500!  Not only do I have the
peace of mind that comes with new parts, I save myself time as Dayton wanted
a month to redo my wheels.
    I know what you're thinking - Moss says their wheels might not be true
when you get them.  After speaking with George about past wheel orders, it
seems that the folks at Moss true the wheels when they're shipped.  Only one
set in his memory has been untrue.  They were sent back to Moss, and the
problem was solved.
    Throughout this process I was able to make a few broad assumptions that
may or may not apply to your given situation.  YMMV.  1.  Unless you have
very rare or very expensive wire wheels, it seems just as thrifty to buy new
ones as it is to have your old ones refurbished.  I don't know what type of
circumstances chrome wire wheel owners run into, or those lucky folks with
TD's, but it seems almost like a safety precaution.  If you're spending the
money to have 'em done, why not do it all the way?  2.  A parts supplier
such as George will save you money.  Yes, you might not get the neat Moss
quarterly catalogues, but...I've never had problems with the wrong parts
(except when I ordered the wrong parts!), and shipping is very prompt.  I
get most of my parts in two to three working days.  If you're going through
a resto, I suggest you hook up with the online parts supplier of your
choice...*Usual disclaimers apply*
    Hmmm, sorry to be so long-winded.  This whole restoration of my MGB has
given me a new credo: If you're going to do it; do it once, do it right, and
do it in style!

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/