Re: MGB tranny crossmember removal

To: "Tyson Sherman" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: MGB tranny crossmember removal
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 20:41:14 -0700
[snip]
>Everything is removed from the engine (followed the Bentley manual
>completely), but I can't seem to get the transmission crossmember
>removed from the tranny.  The four bolts holding the x-member to the
>body (rubber bumper, 76, with overdrive) are removed, and two of the
>bolts (front-most) holding the inverse-trapezoidal piece to the tranny
>are removed, but more hold it on.  Any idea how to get to them?

Uh, small hands? I recall those critters were a bear to get out AND put
back in. I think I used a small open-end wrench and just went
tweaky-tweaky for an hour. Though in different positions I may have used
a 1/4 inch socket drive with the socket "cocked" on an extension or a
ratcheting box wrench. Perhaps putting some pressure on one end of the
x-member and twisting it against the rubber mounts will open up one side
at a time a tiny fraction.

Actually, I guess mine was a '66 so it may be different in detail. I
definitely recall wondering what the heck were they thinking of when they
invented the contraption. Kind of an order-of-assembly Catch-22.

On a related subject, can anyone tell me the purpose of the longitudinal
stayrod that attaches to the trans mount on early 'Bs? I don't seem to
have one, not surprising since the engine, tranny and x-member are from 3
different cars. And what does the other end attach to? Am I endangering
the entire edifice with this omission?

Max Heim
'66 MGB
runs great, needs paint