Re: UK vanity plates

To: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Subject: Re: UK vanity plates
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 20:39:42 EDT
On Thu, 11 Jun 1998 12:04:30 +0000 Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
writes:
snip
>However the government auctions certain plates from time i.e. N 1 CKY
>(UKP25,000
>to you sir) which my daughter would have liked, and they sell series
>of less
>desirable plates e.g. H 11 MPH and H 12 PBH (which can be read as "Hi
>I'm PH" and
>"Hi 2 PBH", how naff can you get) considerably cheaper.  Therefore
>most, if not
>all of their own plates really need 'illegal' spacing for best effect.
> A case of
>selling people their cake but not allowing them to eat it.
>
>The single letter originally changed on the Jan 1st each year, but the
>snob value
>of a 'new letter' plus the increased monetary value at resale of a car
>registered
>on 1st Jan over one registered the previous day meant that huge
>numbers of cars
>had to be stockpiled ready for 1st Jan.  The letter change date was
>moved to 1st
>August some time ago, but still leads to about 40% of cars being
>registered on
>that day.  Also, having already worked through the alphabet (not all
>letters are
>used) for the single letter at the end of the registration, and now
>shortly to be
>seeing 'S' registrations at the beginning of current registrations, we
>are
>rapidly running out of numbers.

This was always a "game " in my family. My great grandfather owned a
plate
WR 1 in the thirties, he was one of seven brothers and they all went
after their own initials with low numbers - this was also passed to my
grandfathers generation who managed to get GSR 1, GSR 2 and GSR3, - the
first two got sold with the cars they were attached to in the late 60s
but my father still sports GSR3 on hid Honda!!

When i lived in England i tried to play it too....
I still have holding certificates on two myself - FLW 200 and 4774 FG but
since i got them both nearly 30 years ago i have no idea if i could ever
use them again!!
I also had ROB 1 E (Robbie) and NAV 10 S (ships in spanish) at various
times, the first one cost me 100 pounds in 1976 and the 2nd was a new
issue in my horrible TR7!!!!

BTW - the change from Jan 1st to Aug 1st was in 1968 between "E" and "F",
people with "e" cars were pretty pissed off at the time

mike robson
69 roadster(MHB something or other)
70 BGT (MBY 796)
72 roadster (MBY 797)