Re: '70 GT Questions

To: MG Listserver <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: '70 GT Questions
From: "Jon Årikstad" <jon@nextel.no>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 09:15:18 +0200
Oil in rear drums:
I haven't been 'in there' myself, but it was oil/grease, not brake fuel.
The mechanic said he checked, and that everything is OK now.
(Did he change seals?...hmm.. don't remember, another note in my check
list)

Anyway.
Drove smokey ( '70GT) to a garage yesterday. Oil pressure around 20-30,
the last time I drove it, around 50. Lots of blue smoke, terrible carbs
& linkage,
lots of traffic, misfires, choke on/off, no power at low
rev, no power at high rev , everybody looking, misfires again.
Not a fun trip :-(
( But kept people off the rear end of my car.)

Engine is comming out for a full overhaul,
Guess I have to drive the german a little longer.

BTW.
I am NOT happy with the brakes. The pedal feels soft, I have to press
hard(normal) and not very effective. ( New note on my check list)

The cylinder head has received a lot of work. Also the car has a
fast road cam from Moss. Therefore 'everybody' recommended Webers, to
get some extra power, and THEN I read the 'anti-weber postings'.
Are they really that bad ??

(My SU's are badly worn, someone has to have a good look to se if they
are scrap or not. )

Got the Webers+ K/N filters yesterday. They look impressive on my
 kitchen table.
( No, I'm not married)

I looked for the vacum advance yesterday, could not find it. Any
hints ??

Jon Arikstad
1970 MGB GT (oil burner)

PS
Sorry I am a bit long, I would prefer to drive.
Remember, I am quite new on LBC's. I have to pay/ ask stupid questions
in the beginning, untill I learn how to do things myself, (AND how
things
are  supposed to be.) A lot of people I meet ( mechanics), thinks
that all british cars should have oil leaks, be noisy, uneven panel
gaps, rattling dash board etc. ( This could be a long thread)
Anyway
Ha en god helg ( Have a nice weekend)

.
BTW