Confusing Controls (Was Dashboard Puzzle)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Confusing Controls (Was Dashboard Puzzle)
From: Bert Palte <vortex@wxs.nl>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 13:55:12 +0200
Bill reacted:

>Drove this car while in England, as well as a RHD Vauxhall Viva which
>had the stalk functions reversed.  Was forever turning on the wipers
>when intending to signal....on both cars.

The very first car I owned (that was back in 1971), a 1962 Renault 4 (LHD of
course,
as I live on the Continent of Europe) had the signal control stalk on the
R.H. side of the steering wheel, whereas at the L.H. side there was a
similar switch for the lights.

The part that you really had to get accustomed to was that the signal
control switch
was NOT self-returning, so you had to switch it off yourself.

Having said that, my 1968 Trabant has a gear switch lever protruding from
the dashboard
similar to that on a Citroen 2CV (or a Renault 4), but with a totally
different and
VERY illocigal gearshift pattern.
I do all the work on my cars myself (except on my daily driver), but there
is one thing that I HAVE to farm out, by law: the annual safety inspection.
Over here in Holland, this is done by car workshops (as opposed to e.g.
Germany where,
as I understand it, this may only be done by TUV, a government institution).

Then, the aforementioned Trabant has a hand-operated fuel valve somewhere
deep down under the dashboard (not unlike a motorcycle) that you have to
open first, before you can start the engine.

I have the cars inspected each year at the same nearby car workshop, where
also some
of my company cars are serviced. Nevertheless, when I bring in the Trabant
for inspection, every year again, I explain
about the gear shift pattern and the fuel valve.
When I come to collect the car, they invariably  tell me that they couldn't
get the engine running... ...having forgotten about the fuel valve, of
course... (a great anti-theft device, if you consider the possibility that
someone might be stupid enough to want to steal a Trabant...).

[Mandatory LBC content]

When I was looking for buying a MGB, some ten years ago, I came across a RHD
MGB,
imported from Britain. The car was interesting enough, but I wasn't too
enthousiastic
about the steering wheel being on the wrong side of the car.
The owner suggested that I gave it a try. And so, I drove a RHD MGB once.
However, I definitely didn't like the RHD controls, so there was no sale.
But that's just personal, a friend who owns a RHD LandRover doesn't mind at all.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind having a nice MG TC in my driveway.....
(these were only made in RHD).

Bert