re: my MGB doesn't like Texas...

Subject: re: my MGB doesn't like Texas...
From: "John Steczkowski" <stecz@pswtech.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 09:10:07 -0500
Well, the end of the story on my '75 MGB running to hot...
Yesterday, I drove the car to test and see if the things I had done got the
car running closer to the middle of the gauge. I did the changes 1 at a time
to see the effect.

mods:

-added electric fan, kept the car cooler longer, but still would run at just
under 3/4 scale on the highway (70mph)
-installed 160 degree thermostat, ran cooler on surface streets, but ran at
3/4 scale on the highway, and if the cooling system go overwhelmed, it would
not cool down.
-removed from license plate. The license plate hung under the bumper in
front of the lower air intakes, removing the license plate got the car to
where it would run with the needle barely touching the hot side of the N on
the gauge
-diluted anti-freeze to more reasonable solution. The radiator had way to
much anti-freeze in it, I diluted it and yesterday, in 109 degree heat, the
guage would stay touching the N at highway speeds and would recover to be
right at half gauge after slowing down.

I haven't added an oil cooler, but I'm going to for additional insurance. At
least I can drive the car without worrying about it overheating.

In Texas, you're required to have a front plate (although a lot of people
don't), so I need to figure out a way to mount it without abscruing the air
intakes. It may require me to drill some holes in teh bumper, and I hate to
do that...

----
John Steczkowski
Director, Business Systems Solutions, Central & West
PSW Technologies, Inc.
512-343-6666
stecz@pswtech.com
http://www.pswtech.com/~stecz