Re: window frame disassembly

To: ENRIQUE CLAURE <span@datacom-bo.net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: window frame disassembly
From: Dan Borrego <rdb@hooked.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 17:18:14 -0700
Enrique,
On my 77, After the frame assembly was off of the car, I removed the bottom
seal from the frame which exposed the screws holding it together. Then I
removed the screws from the top of the frame and from the bottom. Be
careful, it is easy to strip the heads out of these. I suppose you could
use an impact type screwdriver to remove them. Then I simply wiggled the
left and right pillars off of the top and bottom rails. Pulled the old
rubber off of the glass. And then took on the task of putting it all back
together. The new rubber was so thick that it was hard to line up the holes
for the screws. I used a little sealer in the groove that fits around the
glass. And a lot of soapy water in the frame so that it would slide
together easier. I used a couple of strap clamps to compress the whole
thing while doing this. I've heard of people using bar clamps, but that
might make it a little too easy to break the windshield. Use plenty of
soapy water when installing the rubber in the channel on the bottom rail,
and have a helper pull the edge of the rubber out as you set the windshield
assembly into position. This wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done but it
was nice when I finished. Good luck.
Dan
77B (for sale)
By the way, it may be tempting to totally disassemble the frame and give it
a good cleaning, but there really isn't any need to completely remove the
"L" brackets that hold the pillars to the top and bottom rails. So unless
you like to use a screwdriver just clean around them. They're probably
rusted in place anyway.