Re: Is a "B" Really Worth It? longish

To: baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Is a "B" Really Worth It? longish
From: Chuck Schaefer <crschaef@mc.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 18:55:14 -0500
Well, I've had both chains and belts on many of my cars. Th reason fo
the belts are that they are more efficient. They use less power than
thier counterpart, the chain. As a result, higher mileage. This is one
of the changes that were done to meet CAFE("Corporate Average Fuel
Economy", or some such thing). They are also used to reduce the engine
noise.

My most recent change was done on an 86 VW Golf. I think that the cost
of the belt was around $10.00 US. Not a bad price for preventative
maintenance. Yes. The valves would be gonners as would possibly the
pistons if the belt were to go. That is why it is called "Preventative"
maintenance. This car has over 160K miles. Just replaced the front wheel
bearings yesterday. Much of the maintenance on this is done by myself or
my kids. What a great learning experience.

Previously replaced the timing belt on a Chrysler 2.2L engine. This was
a wile ago but I think that the belt cost around $20-25.00.

Alas, neither of my kids are interected in my MGA's.

Anyway, comparing service prices done on late model cars to DIY costs on
LBC's is an unfair comparison.

Chuck Schaefer