wheels & fan sensors

To: MG list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: wheels & fan sensors
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 18:38:08 -0400
MGB wheels have a 4 x 4-1/2 pattern, that is, 4 lugs, 4-1/2" bolt
pattern diameter. The offset is the same as that of a Datsun 240,260, or
280Z.  Stop looking for MG wheels, start looking for the old 280Z
wheels, & you will have a terrific selection.

I have bought several very nice aftermarket sets of wheels from the
local salvage yards for about $75-100.00 per SET, not each. These
include a set of Shelby BBS style wheels now on my '75 B. Datsun,
Toyota, & Mitsubichi wheels from the late '70's are a bolt on, as are
some of the Dodge compact rear wheel cars of that era. Non-turbo 300Z,
not the new 300ZX,  are 4 lug 15" wheels, that also fit, look great with
40 or 50 profile tires. Most of these aftermarket wheels are J6-1/2 or
J7, compared to MG's with J 4-1/2 or J5 rims, so be careful that you
don't get a wheel too wide for the rear fender. J6 or J6-1/2 are usually
ok with 185/70/14 tires or smaller, usually rub with195/70/14's.

What about Pannasports? Probably the best looking wheel on an MG, just
too expensive for my pocket.

For those with 77-80 B,s & thermo switch problems, first, never use the
1980 switch, it does not turn the fan on untill over 200 F, to aid in
the pollution gear's effectiveness. Use the 1977-79 switch which turns
the fans on about 190F.

If switch failure continues after installing a relay, go to the local
Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Trak Auto, etc, & buy a fan control by Hayden or
whatever they sell. Get the adjustable kind. They have a capillary tube
that is inserted in the radiator hose, or have a sensor that mounts to
the radiator fins. These cost from$17-50.00, depending upon the
marketing policies. they work very well, but require a relay. Some come
in kits including a rerlay & wires. I have used these for years with no
problems.

Jim
2 V8's, no dollars or sense