Re: rounded-off bolt

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Re: rounded-off bolt
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 15:39:38 -0700 (PDT) (22:39 UT)
>I managed to round off one of the six bolts holding the flywheel to the
 crank on my 76 B.  A six point socket did first (even rounded the
 socket).  Then a twelve point socket didn't do any better.  Any tips on
< how to get it off?  It's got a 3/4" head, btw.

 Yup, these are so shallow that it's a problem.  However, I'm surprised,
because these shouldn't be torqued down all that much.  They rely on the
bend-up tabs to stay in place.  If you can get the clearance, use the
old vise-grips.  I've used the nose of vise-grips to grab a bolt or nut
with little clearance, and then channel-locks to turn the vise-grips.
Otherwise, drill it and use a big easy-out.  You're going to have to
buy a new bolt in any case....

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*                                        | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: Philippe.Tusler@Unisys.Com    |  N/A       '88 ISUZU Trooper*