Electrical help with 1980 MGB

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Electrical help with 1980 MGB
From: Steve Shoyer <steve@shoyer.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 00:36:12 -0400
I bought a 1980 MGB a couple of months ago.  It's gone through a number of
modifications (Weber DGV, manual choke, emissions equipment removal, etc.)
which will take some time to figure out, but for now I'm trying to make
sense of the wiring.

Can someone tell me what the connections to the fuse box are supposed to
look like?  Knowing the colors of the wires that are supposed to be
connected to the terminals on either side would be great (knowing the
circuits each wire runs would be an added bonus).  I've spent some time
with the Haynes and Bentley manuals and I've found a couple of differences
between what "should" be there and what I've got, but I'm far from an
expert, so I'd like to get a good starting reference.

Also, any guesses on these problems?

- The battery is being drained by something on the "always on" fuse
(bottom).  I traced it to one of the circuits connected to a purple wire at
the fuse box, but not the one that controls the horn or interior light.
Pulling the fuse between drives lets me start the car without jumper cables
(usually), but any ideas what else could be doing it?
- The overdrive doesn't engage.  It worked when I got the car.
- The brake warning light stays on, even when the handbrake is released.
The brakes seem to work OK.  If I press the handbrake switch, the light
dims but stays on.
- The radio doesn't work when the engine is running without playing with
the ignition key.  I think it's a problem with the ignition switch.  Is
there a way to clean it out, or would it need to be replaced?
- There's a small rusted box directly under the fuse box.  My guess is a
relay of some sort.  There's nothing connected to it.  Any ideas?  There
are also two tubular boxes, one to the front of the fuse box and one to the
rear.  I think one is the flasher circuit and the other is the ignition
switch relay, but I don't know if I'm right or which is which.
- The interior light works but only when used manually, not by opening the
doors. There appear to be pin switches on the door frames.  The driver's
side door has two switches, one newer-looking plastic switch below the
older-looking metal switch.  Are these the switches to control the lights?

I think that's it for the current electrical problems.  Thanks in advance
for any advice.  The car's been fun but I don't trust it yet.

--Steve