I haven't paid proper reverence to the Lucas gods - help!

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: I haven't paid proper reverence to the Lucas gods - help!
From: Dan Pockrus <dpockrus@efficient.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 10:01:08 -0500
        Actually, the PO (make that DAPO) didn't pay proper reverence -
and I am paying for the sins.

        Here's the story - I bought a Pertronix Ignitor (from ShadeTree
motors, who delivered lightning-fast - thanks, Skip!) and set about
installing yesterday, along with a new cap, rotor and wires. Opened up
the distributor and discovered the DAPO had tied (literally) the ground
wire from the body of the distributor to a washer which was run under
the point screw. Which wouldn't be a bad thing, except that the
Pertronix pickup sits right on top the point screw - meaning the point
screw comes out permanently, meaning I have to find another place to
attach said ground wire.
        Both the Bentley and Haynes books show this wire to be attached
elsewhere, using what appears to be a small clamp that is attached to a
hole in the contact breaker plate. So, I decided to pull out the contact
breaker plate to find some way to reattach this wire to its original
location. That's when I discovered that the DAPO had done some serious
jacking with said contact breaker plate. The center hole that the
distributor drive shaft goes through showed some signs of being
recrimped at least once. I also discovered that DAPO, for some
unexplained reason, had tied the advance wide open with a piece of
safety wire. I'm guessing the original intent had nothing to do with the
advance; rather, it was another means of holding the breaker plate
together.
        To my horror, I discovered that Moss does not list the contact
breaker plate in their catalog. Does anyone know how I can get my hands
on one (this is a 25D4, by the way). And to the Lucas gods, I'm sorry -
really.

Dan Pockrus
'74 MGB (my son's pride and joy - once I get all the DAPO's hacks out)
'61 VW Panel Bus (my daily driver - now missing fourth gear)
'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife won't let son or I near it)