On the road again

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: On the road again
From: "Thomas James Pokrefke, III" <pokrefke@bigun.c-gate.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 18:10:14 -0500
Mufflers have a life span.  I had accepted the fact that my car produced
more decibels per liter than any vehicle save a B-52 a take off.  I was
proud of this characteristic:  I could set off car alarms even on the
least sensitive of settings.

Those days, like the care-free ones of my youth, are gone.  After my
Father and I completed some much needed repairs, he decided to take the
B to the muffler shop and have new glass packs welded in.

You have to know my Dad, but when I was a teenager, I had delusions of
my Buick Regal being a sports car.  I was delighted the morning he left
to have new tires put on:  I was hoping for some Goodyears or at least
Pirelli's.  Imagine my surprise when he came back with some generic
"fuel-saver" tires.

Of course I understand his logic now, but hard lessons stay fresh long
after the pain has eased.  When he announced he was going to have a new
muffler put on, a familiar uneasiness came upon me.  I easily envisioned
a shiny $19.99 muffler crudely welded to my B's pipes.

So great was my trepidation, I almost stopped him.  Twice.  I almost
could see "fuel-saver" stamped into the muffler.  When I called to tell
him not to worry about it, he had already left.

My Father did good.  When I inspected my car Saturday evening, there
were two new glass pack mufflers right where they should be.  In fact,
every major fault that had been wrong with the car when I left it with
him had been corrected: new clutch, new windshield, and new oil hoses.

I had plenty of time to think about it on my midnight drive through the
pine-forest back to my apartment.  Dad had paid for all the pieces to
fix my car.  I guess he spent close to $400 for a car I drive once a
week.  He has his own project car to fix up: it needs new carpet and
some A/C work.  I couldn't imagine why he had spent that much of his
money on my car.

Then I understood as I crested a small hill and saw lightning flashing
in some far-away clouds.  The entire time Dad and I spent pulling the
engine or replacing the windshield, we were Father and Son.  We never
complained about the work we were doing because it wasn't work: it was a
time for my Father and I to be alone, together, and sharing an activity
we both enjoy - working on cars.  It doesn't really matter if it's a '63
Nash or a '77 Honda or a '70 MGB.  It's about us being together, not
having to say a thing, but understanding everything.

A few months ago, I offered my best friend my near-pristine MGB for some
bits and pieces of a Land-Rover he had rusting in a barn.  The offer was
unfair, and Jim refused to take advantage of it.  I'm glad.

I have so many great memories of my Father and I working on that car, I
could never part with it.