Re: Pertronix & distributor

To: steveb5815@edgenet.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Pertronix & distributor
From: "Editors, Molecular Vision" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 09:22:43 -0500
Steve,

It sounds like your plate (the one that the points and condensor screw in
to) is somehow slipping. Just replacing with a Pertronix may not fix it.
Also, the Pertronix will work on a 25D, it's what I have in my car (my
aplogies to the list -- I typo'd the other day with '45D'). The part number
is LU142. Northern Auto Parts (http://www.naparts.com) sells them for about
$60. I have not had mine in more than a week, so I don't know about the
reliability. I'm keeping all of the old parts in the trunk. It's a
completely reversible operation and only took 2 minutes (really!).

Good luck,

Jeff

> The 45DE in my '79 B rolled a seven a month ago causing a ramp truck ride
> to my garage. I put the 25D distributor (that was in the '76) in with new
> points and everything else and twice (so far) the point gap has closed up.
> Today there was no warning - it just shut off. The screw was tight so it is
> something worn in the distributor. I have no further interest in playing
> with the 25D so I'd like to retrofit the 45DE with a Pertronix unit. The
> other option is a new distributor but I want to avoid that if possible.
>
> Where are some of the places these units are being purchased from? How's
> the reliability? I've been very lucky about this thing staying running but
> I'm starting to worry that it could break down at a REALLY bad time.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
> Steve Bettencourt

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision