Re: clutch alignment tool

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, tsherman@tecinfo.com
Subject: Re: clutch alignment tool
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 08:32:49 -0400
I guess it's because I seldom have a car long enough to replace the
clutch twice, but I've never bought a clutch alignment tool.

I use either a 3/8" or 1/2" socket extension.  (Some people use a
sawed-off broom stick handle.)  Wrap electrical tape around it in two
spots - where the end plugs into the spigot bushing, and where the tool
passes through the clutch disk.  Use enough for a snug fit.  Use your
eyeballs to make sure you're really centered. (If you have to use too
much tape you'll get a mushy alignment.)  Always throw out the clutch
once before turning the motor over.  This way the input shaft finalizes
the centering of the clutch disc before you have a chance to bust
anything by twisting it while a smidge off center.

Frankly, a bona-fide clutch alignment tool is better, but this works in
a pinch, and it's one of those grapes-of-wrath things that I've gotten
so used to, I just never bother to do anything different.

Matt Kulka
'74 B

>>> Tyson Sherman <tsherman@tecinfo.com> 06/23/98 10:58pm >>>
Is it necessary to have the clutch alignment tool to reinstall the
clutch onto the flywheel?  I have a feeling I might be putting my engine
back together next week so I'd need to get the (very cheap - about $4)
part here before then.  The machine shop removed my rounded-off bolt
free of charge, and my parts arrived, so getting my 76 B back on the
road is starting to be a reality.  Next...72 Midget time!!

--
Tyson Sherman
http://www.tecinfo.com/~tsherman