Re: Pre-purchase inspection of an MGA?

To: cfiddes@direct.ca
Subject: Re: Pre-purchase inspection of an MGA?
From: code5 <code5@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 23:34:57 -0400
cfiddes@direct.ca wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm going to go have a "look-see" at an MGA for sale in my area.  The
> description is "running complete car;  good restoration car."
>
> Obviously I'm not expecting a polished gem of a car, but thought I'd
> ask advice about any major, or common areas/items for inspection that
> might be particular to the MGA.  Hidden rust-prone areas?
> Areas of commonly bodged repairs?  General pre-purchase inspection
> advice?
>
> Where will the engine and body be marked with VIN's?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Chris.
> '75 Midget

Chris--
I bought a basket case last winter and had to educate myself about the
same issue (with much help from this list).
Look for rust. Unless the car has been in Fla or the Southwest or
someplace that dry, the body and frame can have serious rust. The place
to look first on an A is at the frame around the floorboards. The wood
holds moisture and rots the adjacent metal. If there are rust holes
where floor meets frame, then you have to use a light and follow the
frame forward--water gets into the frame and corrodes through the bottom
of the members.
The other rust area is in the structural sheet metal members surrounding
the doors. These are mostly concealed by fenders and rocker panel but if
the door rubs or sags, you can count on rusty sills &/or door pillars.
These are fixable but will take a lot of time/money--more than
mechanical work will.
Run your hand along the insides of fenders & bodywork to find any major
dents that have been filled.
Look/feel for bends/riples in the frame that don't belong.
Obviously, after 40+ years everything on the car will be old and tired,
and the list of potential problems includes all of it.
The body integrity, while repairable, seems to be generally seen as the
weakest, and costliest, link.
The serial no. is on an aluminum plate screwed to the flat shelf behind
the engine; hte engine no. is on an aluminum plate rivetted to the
passenger side of the head. Consult a book in a library or large
bookstore to learn whether the engine type matches the body, the
original color, year, etc.
Have fun.
John Vallely
59'mga