Brakes sticking on

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Brakes sticking on
From: AKBLACKLEY@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 10:40:42 EDT
Bruce Phillips inquired about the reasons for ALL four of his brakes sticking
on.  I didnt see a reply in the recent digests. Bruce, are you using silicone
brake fluid? There is a tech article on John Twists web site
(www.universitymotorsltd.com) that mentioned that on some MGB master cylinders
( I believe he meant the early ones) a rubber cup on the piston will expand
under certain conditions and cover a pressure bleed port inside the master
cylinder, causing the brakes to lock on. You might want to check this. On
later cars with the brake light switch on the pedal box the brakes can lock up
if one over zealously adjusts the switch clearance so that all the free play
is taken up at the pedal. Brake systems need a small amouint of free play at
the pedal so that when the system heats up and the fluid expands it can do so
without causing problems, such as the brakes locking on. Hope this helps.
Cheers, Andy Blackley