Re: was Dead B, now tuning

To: "Gary A. Graham" <ggraham@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu>
Subject: Re: was Dead B, now tuning
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 00:20:29 -0400
Gary A. Graham wrote:
> NOW, I have two plugs burning very well, and the two front plugs with
> much carbon build up. Does the front carb (twin SU) drive the front
> plugs?

  More or less. There is a bit of crossover through the balance
pipe but you are correct in assigning the blame to that carb
if those two plugs are identically bad.

> What are the possible problems if I can't lean it out enough?

  Stuck choke, ovalled jet, malfunctioning float valve...

  If it's GROSSLY bad (sounds like it is) check the float valve
and the choke. An ovalled jet is more if a minor contributor
than a major failure.

  I am not too familiar with HIF carbs, but on HS carbs three
screws remove the suction chamber and will allow you to see
if the jet is at least in the proper area. (somewhere between
level with the bearing and 1/4inch below the bearing)

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/