Re: Fender Removal

To: "Frank W. Phillips Jr" <FWP@gore.vpha.health.ufl.edu>
Subject: Re: Fender Removal
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:04:23 -0400
Frank W. Phillips Jr wrote:

> Hello again, I need to remove the fenders on my 69B. Front and back...In
> short I need to do a little body work. What is the basic process and what
> do I need to watch out for? Thanks

  The fronts are relatively easy. You need to remove the windshield
first, then basically just go along the fender removing bolts. There
are MANY of them, many more than you might expect so careful yanking
on the fender until you are SURE you have all the bolts. Even then,
you probably missed some.

  It's straightforward, except for a few under the dash that require
small hands and much patience with an open ended wrench. You may also
to remove the splash guards to get to the backs of some of
the bolts, I beleive they are supposed to be captive but life isn't
always friendly.

  As for the rear fenders, they are not bolted on they are spot
welded in place. If you MUST remove them to do your body work, you
might as well cut them off and weld on new ones, a lot less work
than trying to patch old ones as long as the metal above the chrome
strip is ok. The patch panels from the strip down are cheap, the
full rear fenders are pricey.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/