Re: Gas Tank Cleaning

To: Rick Huber <102221.1716@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Gas Tank Cleaning
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 07:53:07 -0700
Rick Huber wrote:

> Hi Listers,
>
> I dropped the gas tank from my '75 B V8 conversion project yesterday, and
> poured out about 3 gallons of varnish the DPO left me - the car has been
> sitting since 1984.  The inside of the tank is caked with black deposits -
> I presume partly rust / partly high molecular weight remainders of
> gasoline.  The stuff on the sending unit really didn't dissolve well in
> gasoline.
>
> My question is it worth going through the cleaning / etching / sealing
> routine with about $70 worth of stuff from Moss, is some other stuff - like
> phosphoric acid in the local auto parts store just as good, or should I
> just buy a new tank.

        In a word--no.  It is, in my opinion, simply not worth the aggravation,
hassle, and other stuff.  If a tank has been allowed to sit that long it
has some rust damage.  I've never had ANY luck w/ tank sealers and that
goes back to the motorcycle days, 30+ years.
        I know that budget constraints may make this part of the project seem
like the economical way to go but I'll bet you will be happier starting
fresh w/ a new tank.

Larry Dickstein
Kansas City, MO