MGA Top Shrink

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA Top Shrink
From: "M. W. Jordan, Jr." <mw_jordan@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 08:13:18 -0400
Thanks for the tips on the strange sound coming from the 1960 MGA I am
working on.  Now a separate question.

The top for the MGA seems to have encountered the same affliction I seem

to have every winter with my pants.  They, and the top, seem to have
shrunk.  The top was a mess when I got the car out of 22 years of dry
storage.  I just about tossed it but decided to clean it up and see how
bad it was.  It started out a strange mix of yellow and green, but the
hose and some detergent revealed it was in fine shape.  Very clear
windows, no holes or rub marks, frame has some paint flaking but all
parts seem to be there and with some WD40 (not to fuel the WD40
/releasing agent thread) all parts now move freely.  But the top frame
will not join the upper windshield, misses by an inch or more.  I am
afraid to put too much pressure on the top frame as I fear I will pull
the mounts off the rear deck.

The problem may be of my own doing.  I recall a thread several
weeks/months ago about tonneaus that would not fit and one response may
have been use of Armor All contributing to the problem.  In that regard,

I am guilty in that I used Armor All liberally as soon as I cleaned the
top, thinking it would be good to help bring back the appearance.  It is

now a very good looking top, but it does not fit.

What I did this evening is to put the top "up" and weight the front with

about 5 lbs. on each side at the front rail.  Tomorrow I plan to put the

car, with the top up and the weights on, in the direct sun and see if
heat will assist in getting some additional stretch.

Any comments or better ideas.  I really hate to spring $250 for a new
top when there is no damage other than fit on the top I have.

Appreciate any comments or ideas.

M. W. Jordan, Jr.
Marietta, GA