Re: Carb Question + List Traffic

To: "Bert Palte" <vortex@wxs.nl>, "Nick Coleman" <coleman@sd.aonix.com>
Subject: Re: Carb Question + List Traffic
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 08:11:43 -0400
On 7/5/98 6:35 AM so and so (Bert Palte) said. (And I quote:)

>Bert
>
>For the U.S. listers only (the majority):
>
>>From the traffic op this list it is obvious that the 4th of July is a
national
>holiday, it seems that more messages have been posted than normally during
>the weekend...
>
>The financial section of my newspaper says Wall Street (NYSE) was closed Fri
>July 3rd
>because of the celebration of Independence Day on July 4th.
>I don't understand. Can anyone explain this to me? TIA.
>

>Bert

Bert that's easy. Here in the USofA we take our holidays seriously. On
7/4/1776 we the people wrote a document that started a war with Britian,
It seems we didn't like their tea but knew we would love their cars. So
instead of having their gov be ours we set out to make our own. Whilst
the 4th is on a Sat and the Federal Beuacracy has ALL of the Saturdays
and Sundays off, they felt that when a holiday falls on one of those days
it is important for another day off. That is to insure that they are well
rested so as to get back to the peoples business by Wednesday or so after
the 3 day hangover has subsided. Big Business has picked up this
tradition to insure that we all get a good 3 day holiday in the middle of
the summer 'cuz we won't get another until Sept.

Party Hardy

Larry Macy
78 Midget
(didn't get no stinkeen fireworks - it was raining)

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?