mga II frothy engine, and other questions

To: "mgs" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: mga II frothy engine, and other questions
From: "Clayton Kirkwood" <kirkwood@garlic.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 14:46:16 -0700
In trying to fix up various problems on my mga, I got around to resetting
the tappet clearances (.016 cold engine). In taking the valve cover off, I
noticed a significant amount of white froth, I presume oil and water.

Other significant facts:

Oily sludge in the cooling system.

Going through oil fairly quick. Definite bad valve cover gasket (replacing).
Maybe other oil leaks.

In running a compression test, I have 130, 60, 130, 85 back to front. After
squirting oil into each cylinder, I had 135, 70, 130, 90, again back to
front. Assume rings ok. Given the low readings for two non-adjacent
cylinders, along with froth, and an oily sludge in the cooling system, I
assume that I have either two cracks in the head, a gasket break in two
spots, and/or bad valve guides and/or bad valve seats and burnt valves.

I would appreciate any guidance at this point. What does it appear to be?
How difficult is it to remove and check the head? Although I do some
wrenching, I am not an expert and right now, I am more interested in getting
it going correctly - am I better off getting an expert to rebuild at this
point? If so, I figure now is the time to do a complete rebuild and upgrade
like crossflow head, upgraded valves, seats, guides, cam, and rocker. I
would definitely appreciate some guidance here.

Thanks,

Clayton Kirkwood
(916) 663-2368
kirkwood@garlic.com