this must be the month for brake questions

To: mg <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: this must be the month for brake questions
From: Becky Mahoney <bmahoney@home.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 09:22:49 -0500
While out driving my 'B' (thought I'd never get to use that line!) I
have been hearing a thumping noise coming from the front left side.  I
had thought it was from a couple of loose bolts on the exhaust, but now
they are all real tight and the noise continues.  Removed the wheel and
have noticed that when I turn the rotor it turns freely most of the way,
then gets tighter, and then loose again.  Apparently a warped
rotor....If this is the case, do I need to replace or can it be
turned???  When you measure the rotor, where do you measure??  Is it
just the thickness of the rotor...front to back??  What should it be?
Could this be making the noise?  I did notice that when I press on the
brakes, the noise seems to get louder.

Thanks for your advice.

Becky
69 MGB roadster