Tires sizes for a MGB

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tires sizes for a MGB
From: "Mike Lishego" <MIKESL@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 00:10:59 EST
Hello all,
    As my MGB project nears road worthiness, I have decided to start
shopping for tires.  Oddly enough, this coincides with my paycheck
coming!  Anyway, I'm going cheap and picking up a few retreads until
I can afford better goods.  I just need rubber on the rims with tread
to pass inspection.  I just bought new wires a few weeks ago, they
are the standard 14" x 4" or 4 1/2" rims.  Of course, I need new
tubes for these things too, so I'd like some opinions of what
everyone else is running.  I don't want anything too low profile, as
I drive seriously potholed roads and bent rims do not maximize fun.

    I was thinking about something like 185 - 70 R14, 175 - 70 R14,
or 185 - 60 R14.  What does anyone else with stock wire rims run?
I'd like a 'meaty-looking' tire, but not balloons.  Anyone care to
solicit opinions?

    P.S. - Please don't flame me for buying cheap tires - My tire
budget is VERY low!